JOB POSTING FOR PHARMACY TECHNOLOGIST (based in Migori County, Kenya)
Department: Clinical Care
Persons Supervised: Pharmacy Technician and Pharmacy Assistant
Reports to: Head Clinician
To Apply: Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: Applications to be submitted by 2nd January 2017.
JOB SUMMARY – PURPOSE
The incumbent of this position will be responsible for overseeing the pharmacy by ensuring compliance to applicable laws and SOPs, supervision of the pharmacy staff and distribution of medicines and hospital supplies. The Position is a one year renewable contract, subject to satisfactory performance by the job holder and availability of funds. Alliance
- Update the formulary of drugs and supplies in collaboration with clinical staff and Ministry protocols to meet hospital needs. Compile and analyze consumption data to identify patterns of over- or under-consumption. Work with program managers to determine drug needs on a regular basis (quarterly).
- Monitor stock levels of essential drugs, and manage/rotate stock to minimize expiry. Secure stocks to minimize loss and damage. Monitor stock in hospital and dispensary to ensure proper items are in place. Compile daily consumption reports and add up weekly totals in order to prepare for monthly/quarterly inventories. Maintain paper stock cards and electronic management system.
- Supervise other pharmacy personnel. Manage pharmacy staff by developing a work plan and priorities for each member. Help to train staff on stock procedures, documentation, dispensing, and pharmacy maintenance.
- Participate in clinical staff meetings and committee.
- Dispense medicine to patients. Instruct patients on how and when to take the medicines they receive according to the prescription and doctor’s instructions. Teach patients about possible side effects and in what cases they should return to the hospital.
- Pre-pack medicines where possible, removing the medicine from its bulk packaging and repackaging it for distribution. Ensure that there is adequate stock in dispensing room for providers who are covering on nights and weekends.
- Maintain organization and cleanliness of stock room and dispensing room
- Establish and maintain relationships with local vendors and suppliers
- Prepare purchase orders for the procurement of necessary medications, equipment, and supplies from vendors and suppliers. Track order progress through payment, shipping, and reconciliation. Prevent stock-outs by monitoring stocks and reordering with ample lead-time for delivery. Carry out Local Purchase Orders (LPOs) as necessary for emergency medications.
- Develop systems and standards for the physical inventory and monthly reporting. Prepare reports as needed for national programs (such as those concerning HIV, TB, malaria) and donor-funded initiatives. Provide stock cards and daily and weekly consumption report forms. Verify that other pharmacy personnel are documenting correctly. Compile reports as required by district or national authorities, and ensure that reports are generated and circulated.
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Head Clinician
Skills and Abilities
- A Holder of Diploma in Pharmacy
- 3 Years’ experience in a busy Hospital.
- Must be registered with the Pharmacy and Poisons Board
- Ability to prepare reports for donor funded initiatives
- Ability to maintain good rapport with Local Vendors and suppliers
Other desirable qualities
- Strong Supervisory skills
You can help us sustain our existing programs and roll out further initiatives by making a donation now.