10-Year Anniversary Gala
On Friday, March 31st, Lwala celebrated a Decade of Impact at our 10-Year Anniversary Gala in Nashville, Tennessee. A few highlights include:
- Managing Director Julius Mbeya delivering an inspiring speech in which he expressed how different life would be for his family if they had Lwala Community Alliance in their community.
- Lwala Co-founders Milton and Fred Ochieng’ joined Julius for an interview in which Fred and Milton shared stories about juggling medical school while simultaneously catalyzing their community to start Lwala. They also described how much it means to them to be able to help change the story of their community to one of hope, and how they know their parents would be proud. While Fred and Milton were discussing their deep connection to the Nashville Community, Fred displayed one of the many things he learned in Nashville when he began singing a country music song for the audience.
- Tobias Okong’o, a son of Lwala studying at a high school in New York, spoke about his desire to follow in the footsteps of his cousins Fred and Milton. He has already started making an impact in his community through starting Toby’s Bow Ties.
- Our longtime partner Donato Tramuto, founder of Health eVillages, surprised us with a 5-year grant commitment for nutrition programming.
- Our keynote speaker was Emmy-nominated actress Connie Britton, who discussed her close ties between the Nashville community and the continent of Africa.
- Finally, Grammy award-winning band Jars of Clay performed a few songs.
Lwala co-founders Fred and Milton Ochieng’ with actress Connie Britton
The Lwala US Team with Co-founders Fred and Milton
Connie Britton, Ted Phillip, and Executive Director Ash Rogers at the VIP reception
Event chair and former Lwala board member Cole Barfield opened the Gala
Lwala Executive Director Ash Rogers was the emcee for the night.
The audience enjoying a short version of the documentary “Sons of Lwala”.
Grammy Award winning band Jars of Clay, long time supporters of Lwala, played an acoustic set for the audience.
It was a special evening of celebration, and we are deeply grateful to our friends, partners, and allies who have helped make this decade of impact possible. If you were unable to attend our event but would like to give a 10-year anniversary gift, please click the donation button below.
You can help us sustain our existing programs and roll out further initiatives by making a donation now.