Lwala Community Alliance
Title: Development Manager
Reports to: Ash Rogers, Executive Director
Location: Nashville, TN
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting.
Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. The region experiences some of the highest HIV, maternal mortality, and infant morality rates in East Africa. As such, community members built their area’s first health center.
From these humble beginnings, we are now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 30,000. The work extends far beyond the original hospital as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change.
The Development Manager, overseen by the Executive Director, will be responsible for assisting in the execution of a comprehensive program to increase charitable giving through the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individuals and funding partners. This position is an exciting collaboration of talent working with the grant writing, grant management, fundraising and branding to create ways of expanding Lwala’s proven model.
Grant Writing & Grant Management
- Work closely with the Executive Director to know and foster strong donor relationships
- Maintain comprehensive database of current grant funders and track contracting process, disbursement schedules, reporting requirements, and financial earmarks
- Work with Impact Director and Finance Manager to ensure high-quality grants finance management and accurate allocation of grant funding
- Identify of potential corporate/foundation partners for the Executive Director to develop relationships with
- Develop lists of and conduct research on new prospective donors and prepare profiles
- Track grant proposal deadlines and keep team on-track to meet them
- Edit and perform final review of reports to funders as needed
- Track reporting deadlines and keep team on-track to meet them
- Participate in writing and compiling letters of inquiry, concept papers, and proposal submissions for new grants and grant renewals
- Steward a portfolio of institutional funding partners through outreach over the phone, in person, and through email
- Represent Lwala in appropriate forums including conferences, events, and speaking engagements
- Design and execute an annual development plan, including all cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities
- Plan and execute fundraising events in St. Louis, Nashville, and other cities as required
- Plan and execute vision trips to Kenya
- Manage outsourced marketing assets to create and execute a strategic communications program that will lead to deeper and broadened engagement with current and potential partners and donors
- Collaborate with outsourced marketing assets to create, manage content for, and regularly update website, social media channels, and blogs
- Track, evaluate, and report on media and communications-related metrics on a quarterly basis
- Oversee the production of direct mail campaigns, e-newsletters, annual reports and other communications materials
**Other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree in relevant field required, Masters degree preferred.
Skills and Experience
- 2-5 years experience in nonprofit fundraising and grant writing required
- Proven track record of raising funds from individuals, corporations, or foundations through the execution of a development strategy
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with proven ability to write persuasively and with a high degree of professionalism
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work with diverse constituencies
- Superb research, planning, and organizational skills with a strong attention to detail
- Excellent fact-checking and proofreading skills
- Experience in donor cultivation, grant writing, and government contracts management
- Knowledge of and connections to the international funding community in New York, Washington, DC and possibly Nashville, TN.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks while maintaining attention to detail.
- Proficiency in Microsoft word, PowerPoint, and excel and a willingness to learn newer software like Evernote, Dropbox, Salesforce, and DonorPro.
- Ability to travel and work evening and weekend hours, with occasional overseas travel
- Optimistic, ambitious, and high-energy
- High level of patience, with ability to quickly react to unexpected priorities
- Demonstrated interest or background in international development and justice issues
- Ability to think strategically while executing tactically
- Entrepreneurial spirit in identifying opportunities and generating relationships
- Sound judgment, professionalism and a positive attitude
- Resourcefulness, creativity and strong problem-solving skills
Please send the following to Helen Chalmers at email@example.com:
• Current CV/resume
• Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience
• 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant
You can help us sustain our existing programs and roll out further initiatives by making a donation now.