Title: M&E Fellow
Reports to: Impact Director
Length and Location: Year-long, Based in rural Western Kenya (field-based position)
Compensation: Monthly stipend, plus accommodation and meals
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting.
Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. The region experiences some of the highest HIV, maternal mortality, and infant mortality rates in East Africa. As such, community members built their area’s first health center.
From these humble beginnings, we are now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 30,000. The work extends far beyond the original hospital as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change.
Lwala Community Alliance’s M&E team has been growing over the last few years to support and strengthen the organization’s high quality programming and to carry out research on Lwala’s successes in the region. Lwala is growing its data management systems and working to carry out rigorous research simultaneously.
The M&E Fellow, based in Kenya, will support Lwala’s M&E team to make strides in improving its data systems even further and using that data effectively. A major part of M&E is the evaluation of our programs, including child & maternal health, education, nutrition, HIV and WASH services – as well as measuring how community members have benefitted from Lwala services.
This fellowship position offers field-based exposure to a variety of M&E responsibilities, from supporting data collection/evaluations and data management systems, to interpreting program data for use and assisting with reporting to donors as it relates to program outcomes.
Further, the M&E Fellow will support team members in growing their skills in writing and telling stories. Helping to build the capacity of team members’ in Kenya in their ability to fully understand, talk about and share program results will directly benefit the overall M&E capability at Lwala. The Fellow will also coordinate some external visitors to support their experience in a way that optimizes learning about Lwala.
The M&E Fellow sits within the Monitoring & Evaluation team and reports to the M&E Manager in Kenya and the Impact Director in the U.S. The Fellow will be working in partnership with an international co-fellow who will also be serving a 1-year fellowship. The Fellow will work with the M&E Officer, Systems Administrator, and Data Assistant, but will interact with nearly all staff members of the organization.
• Assist in donor reporting and proposal development with a focus on external communication of Lwala’s Key Performance Indicators, metrics, and evaluation/research results (50%)
➞ Work with the U.S. team and program teams to write progress updates, both on specific indicators and on overall program progress. Work with the Kenya and U.S. teams to write aspects of donor proposals related to program outcomes and indicators, and program ideas.
➞ Support development and measurement of key performance indicators for external audiences.
➞ Expand visualization tools and other strategies to actively understand KPIs and encourage programmatic use of M&E data.
• Participate in program evaluations and research at Lwala (25%)
➞ Help develop program evaluation tools and structures for new and existing programs, including building survey tools and data collection processes, and providing feedback to organization and program leadership on results to guide decision-making.
➞ Participate in the Lwala Community Alliance Annual Household survey, in terms of developing survey tools and carrying out analysis of results.
➞ Provide support to the M&E team on integration of evaluation results with other ongoing monitoring, data analysis, data visualization, etc., always ensuring that evaluations are integrated with existing data management systems at Lwala, particularly Salesforce.
• Assist with hosting visitors to Lwala, including Board members, donors, peer organizations and Vanderbilt students at points throughout the year (10%)
• Work with relevant Kenyan staff on developing writing and story-telling capabilities to assist in donor reporting, proposal development, and general communications (10%)
• Other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with supervisor (5%)
• A background in research, data analysis, and/or support of M&E systems
• Strong writing abilities, both creative and analytical, preferably with strong editing skills
• Experience in community development programs, international experience is preferred
• Some experience living in a developing country, preferably Africa
• Ability to learn quickly and take initiative
• Patience and resilience
• Self-motivation and resourcefulness
• A proven ability to work with teams to build capacity in technical areas
• Successful experience working with people from different cultural backgrounds
• Curiosity and a sense of humor
Please send the following to Helen Chalmers at email@example.com:
• Current CV/resume
• Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience
• 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant
You can help us sustain our existing programs and roll out further initiatives by making a donation now.