On Friday, March 31st, Lwala celebrated a Decade of Impact at our 10-Year Anniversary Gala in Nashville, Tennessee. A few highlights include:
- Managing Director Julius Mbeya delivering an inspiring speech in which he expressed how different life would be for his family if they had Lwala Community Alliance in their community.
- Lwala Co-founders Milton and Fred Ochieng’ joined Julius for an interview in which Fred and Milton shared stories about juggling medical school while simultaneously catalyzing their community to start Lwala. They also described how much it means to them to be able to help change the story of their community to one of hope, and how they know their parents would be proud. While Fred and Milton were discussing their deep connection to the Nashville Community, Fred displayed one of the many things he learned in Nashville when he began singing a country music song for the audience.
- Tobias Okong’o, a son of Lwala studying at a high school in New York, spoke about his desire to follow in the footsteps of his cousins Fred and Milton. He has already started making an impact in his community through starting Toby’s Bow Ties.
- Our longtime partner Donato Tramuto, founder of Health eVillages, surprised us with a 5-year grant commitment for nutrition programming.
- Our keynote speaker was Emmy-nominated actress Connie Britton, who discussed her close ties between the Nashville community and the continent of Africa.
- Finally, Grammy award-winning band Jars of Clay performed a few songs.
Lwala co-founders Fred and Milton Ochieng’ with actress Connie Britton
The Lwala US Team with Co-founders Fred and Milton
Connie Britton, Ted Phillip, and Executive Director Ash Rogers at the VIP reception
Event chair and former Lwala board member Cole Barfield opened the Gala
Lwala Executive Director Ash Rogers was the emcee for the night.
The audience enjoying a short version of the documentary “Sons of Lwala”.
Grammy Award winning band Jars of Clay, long time supporters of Lwala, played an acoustic set for the audience.
It was a special evening of celebration, and we are deeply grateful to our friends, partners, and allies who have helped make this decade of impact possible. If you were unable to attend our event but would like to give a 10-year anniversary gift, please click the donation button below.
Lwala Community Alliance Pharmacy Technologist Department – Clinical Care Reports to – Head Clinician Persons reporting to Pharmacy Technologist – Pharmacy Technician and Pharmacy Assistant Location – Lwala Community Health Center – Based in Migori, Kenya Apply – Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline - Applications to be submitted by 21st April 2017. Organizational [...]
Lwala Community Alliance Health Systems Officer Department – Health Systems Strengthening Reports to – Policy and Partnerships Director Location – Based in Migori, Kenya Apply – Email CV & cover letter to Hillary Omala email@example.com. Deadline – Applications are being accepted on an immediate, rolling basis. Position open until filled. Organizational Background: Lwala Community [...]
Lwala Community Alliance Technology Systems Fellow Reports to: Community Programs Director Location: Based in rural Western Kenya Compensation: Monthly stipend, travel, plus accommodation and meals Organizational Background: Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, [...]
Lwala Community Alliance Title: Engagement Associate/Manager (Nashville, TN / U.S.-based) Reports to: Ash Rogers, Executive Director Organizational Background Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. [...]
JOB POSTING FOR PHARMACY TECHNOLOGIST (based in Migori County, Kenya) Department: Clinical Care Persons Supervised: Pharmacy Technician and Pharmacy Assistant Reports to: Head Clinician To Apply: Send CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Deadline: Applications to be submitted by 2nd January 2017. JOB [...]
Lwala Community Alliance Title: Student Intern (Nashville, TN / U.S.-based) Reports to: Engagement Associate Start Date: 2017 Spring – Summer Position Purpose The student intern, overseen by the Engagement Associate, will assist in maintaining all donor information, provide administrative support, help coordinate volunteers and assist in event logistics. S/he will help maintain donor systems, (which may include [...]
Our partner Village Enterprise is hiring a Field Coordinator (Lwala, Kenya-based) Job Location: Lwala, Migori County, Kenya Job Status: Full-time Start Date: January 2017 Employer: Village Enterprise Job Title: Field Coordinator Reports to: Assistant Country Director Duration: Minimum of 2 years, opportunity to extend. Website: www.VillageEnterprise.org Summary: Village Enterprise seeks a self-motivated, dynamic and results-oriented Field Coordinator. The [...]
The Engagement Associate, overseen by the Director of Engagement, will be responsible for assisting in the execution of a comprehensive program to increase charitable giving through the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individuals and funding partners. The Engagement Associate will support the pipeline and moves management efforts for the organization’s major gifts program, manage portfolios [...]
POLICY & PARTNERSHIPS MANAGER Department: Leadership Reports to: Managing Director Location: Based in Nairobi, Kisumu, or Migori with at least 50% time onsite at Lwala’s office in Rongo, Migori, Kenya Apply: Send CV and cover letter to Gilbert Okinyi at email@example.com. Direct questions to Julius Mbeya at Julius@lwalacommunityalliance.org Deadline: Applications are being accepted on an [...]