TERMS OF REFERENCE CONSULTANCY TO DEVELOP COMMUNITY HEALTH WORKER (CHW) TRAINING CURRICULUM BACKGROUND INFORMATION: Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Lwala is leveraging this bottom-up approach in an all-out effort to drastically reduce maternal and child mortality; tackling the key drivers of deaths [...]
Lwala Community Alliance
Title: Manager for Talent Development and Engagement
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Community members are uniquely positioned to design solutions to local challenges, and their innovations hold the key to transformative, sustainable, systemic change. Founded by Kenyans, Lwala’s team now has 80 members and engages over 80 community health workers.
We have leveraged this bottom-up, multidimensional approach in an all-out effort to drastically reduce maternal and child mortality! We are tackling the key drivers of deaths – gender inequity, barriers to education, poverty, unplanned pregnancies, unskilled deliveries, and delayed treatment of childhood illnesses.
Lwala Community Alliance has been operating for 10 years and we are very proud our founding and impact story. We are on a 5-year strategic initiative to scaling our community-led health model to reach 1,000,000 people by 2020. Have a look at our 10 year impact report and watch our video!
About the role:
As Talent Manager you will be responsible for building and maintaining a highly skilled, committed, motivated and productive workforce which can turn our dream into reality. A team that subscribes to Lwala Community Alliance’s vision, values and culture, does more than “just their job” and is intentionally mission oriented. You will ensure that Lwala adopts innovative human resource practices that motivate and develop staff and make them feel valued in their work with Lwala Community Alliance. Our 80 staff are made up of both, the rural community and skilled professionals from outside that relocate to Lwala to work with us. You will be in charge of ensuring everyone feels a sense of purpose and brings in and develops their talents fully by championing a conducive work environment based on integrity and kindness.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Driving Performance Management and Learning and Development (L&D)
- Ensure each staff member understands their role and expected results clearly as roles change when the organization evolves
- Mentoring people to grow into their roles and helping them overcome concerns
- Coordinate the annual Performance Appraisal Process in a way that drives behaviours and learning (beyond filling in templates)
- Come up with creative approaches to L&D and ensure all individuals have meaningful and challenging personal learning plans
- Ensuring L&D activities are aligned to the training budget and are approved by the staff development committee
- Hold exit interviews and drawing recommendations for future hires and talent strategy
Strengthening Organizational Culture and Internal Communication
- Drive conversations on Lwala’s mission and values to ensure that everyone is aligned to the purpose and values
- Develop and implement systems that ensure two-way communication across the organization
- Come up with effective retention strategies that ensure predictability of the terms of service in the team, where people buy into the organization’s mission and see themselves grow and stay
- Implement the full team meetings and find other ways of keeping staff updated and engaged
- Encourage team building through meetings, workshops and other activities Overseeing
Recruitment and Onboarding
- Assess talent needs that match the aspirations of the organization
- Build a talent pool and database through proactive approaching of candidates, partnerships, internships, employer branding initiatives etc
- Develop innovative recruitment systems which ensure we attract the best in the field
- Coordinate the hiring of medical and other staff on a regular basis o Screening and selection of new staff (organizational culture, skills, motivation)
- Implement effective on-boarding practises to improve retention
Talent Management and Human Resource Strategy
- Champion talent management mindset across the organization. Advise line managers on practices to ensure effective supervision and motivation of staff
- Provide HR related input to strategies, plans and processes
- Keep track of progressive HRM trends and advise management.
- Act as a change management agent
- Anticipate talent needs and develop succession plans
Oversee implementation of Human Resource across the organization
- Engage managers to ensure proper implementation of processes and policies
- Effective handling of all grievance and disciplinary matters with due diligence and integrity
- Oversee compensation and reward procedures, ensure proper OSHA practices.
- Creation and implementation of the HR budget (medical, training etc). Flag arising risks
- Track HR indicators and prepare reports as per schedule
- Champion staff welfare incl. life skills mentoring and training
- Continuously improve the existing HR manual and policies in line with laws and best practices
- Advise management on disciplinary and termination, ensure all relevant laws are abided by o Ensure proper HR records and database
Who we are looking for
- A champion and thought leader for innovative talent management. You see HR as a key for an organization to become more professional and effective
- You have demonstrated strong leadership, strategic and business management abilities in the past. You have successfully championed team work
- At least 5-7 years of total work experience, with at least two years in a similar position in a busy organization with at least 30 staff members
- People find you approachable and you hold conversations with all types of people: from the village to the board room
- You have used your mentorship, counselling, negotiation and mediation skills in teams and communities before to ensure win-win outcomes for employees and employer
- You pride yourself in your creative approach to Learning & Development with limited budget and want to create a learning culture from the typical Kenyan “certificate culture”
- You have handled disciplinary and grievance cases
- You have actively driven recruitment, HR procedures and performance management
- You are a strong analytical and dynamic thinker
- The ideal candidate has experience in both, nonprofit and for-profit organizations. Experience in the healthcare sector is an advantage but not a requirement.
- You hold a relevant bachelor’s degree and/or a Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management. You are a certified by a relevant regulator, e.g. IHRM membership
You have the cultural fit to join our team if
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is “your job” or not. You enjoy working with minimal supervision.
- You have genuine passion, love and respect for the people we serve
- You have clear communication and can work with people from diverse cultures
- You believe that change is possible through collaboration and consultation rather than hierarchies and using power
Why work with us?
- Be part of scaling a community led health model across Western Kenya and beyond
- Lwala has a very collegiate and amiable working environment
- Join a passionate team with high ethical standards and personal integrity
- We offer a welfare package relevant to Migori’s realities: Medical treatment at Lwala Community Hospital using NHIF, reimbursable medical referral scheme, pension scheme, Group Personal Accident/ WIBA cover, staff meals are provided (tea and lunch)
The role is based in our main office next to the hospital in a rural village in Migori County. We are around 12 km from the nearest town (Rongo) where most of our team lives. We are looking for someone who is excited about living and working in a rural setup for a minimum of 2-3 years.
We will arrange a six month probation period with learning and performance objectives. Due to the nature of work working hours might extend on some days.
Want to apply?
- First, please have a look at this guide on how to submit your application and tips on our selection process: http://bit.ly/CandidatesGuide
- Fill out the application form under http://bit.ly/JoinLCA
- Send your CV in PDF format to email@example.com with the subject line “Lwala Talent Manager”