Lwala Community Alliance Title: Engagement Associate/Manager (Nashville, TN / U.S.-based) Reports to: Ash Rogers, Executive Director Organizational Background Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting. Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. [...]
Lwala Community Alliance
Title: M&E Fellow
Reports to: Community Programs Director
Location: Based in rural Western Kenya
Compensation: Monthly stipend, plus accommodation and meals
Lwala Community Alliance (Lwala) is a community-led innovator proving that when communities lead, change is drastic and lasting.
Lwala village, a small community in rural western Kenya, founded the organization as a response to extreme health challenges. The region experiences some of the highest HIV, maternal mortality, and infant morality rates in East Africa. As such, community members built their area’s first health center.
From these humble beginnings, we are now the largest provider of health services for a population of over 30,000. The work extends far beyond the original hospital as we support communities in their homes, schools, and farms to advance their own comprehensive well-being. We address the complex causes of poor health through a multi-dimensional strategy, which engages community members in driving their own change.
Lwala Community Alliance’s M&E team has been growing over the last few years to support and strengthen the organization’s high quality programming and to carry out research on Lwala’s successes in the region. Lwala is growing its data management systems and is working to carry out rigorous research simultaneously. The M&E Fellow will support the M&E team to make strides in improving its data systems even further. A major part of M&E is the evaluation of programs and the evaluation of how community members have benefitted from Lwala services. This fellowship position would largely focus on these evaluations, building off of the work of the current M&E Fellow, and would also include assisting with reporting to donors as it relates to program outcomes.
Another aspect of the M&E fellowship would be to support team members in growing their skills in writing and telling stories. Helping to build the capacity of team members’ in Kenya in their ability to fully understand, talk about and share program results will directly benefit the overall M&E capability at Lwala.
The M&E Fellow will sit within the Monitoring & Evaluation team and report to the Community Programs Director in Kenya and the Impact Manager in the U.S. The Fellow will work closely with the M&E Officer, the Systems Administrator, and the Data Assistant, but will interact with nearly all staff members of the organization.
- Participate in program evaluations and research at Lwala.Assist in donor reporting and proposal development. Work with the U.S. team and program teams to write progress updates, both on specific indicators and on overall program progress. Work with the Kenya and U.S. teams to write aspects of donor proposals related to program outcomes and indicators, and program ideas.
- Help develop program evaluation tools and structures for new and existing programs, including building survey tools and data collection processes, and providing feedback to organization and program leadership on results to guide decision-making.
- Participate in the Lwala Community Alliance Annual Household survey, in terms of developing survey tools and carrying out analysis of results.
- Provide support to the M&E team on integration of evaluation results with other ongoing monitoring, data analysis, data visualization, etc., always ensuring that evaluations are integrated with existing data management systems at Lwala, particularly Salesforce.
- Work with relevant Kenyan staff on developing writing and story-telling capabilities to assist in donor reporting, proposal development, and general communications.
- Assist with hosting visitors to Lwala, including Board members, donors, peer organizations and Vanderbilt students at points throughout the year.
- Other responsibilities as mutually agreed upon with supervisor.
- A background in research, data analysis, and/or support of M&E systems
- Strong writing abilities, both creative and analytical
- Experience in community development programs, international experience is preferred
- Some experience living in a developing country, preferably Africa
- Ability to learn quickly and take initiative
- Patience and resilience
- Self-motivation and resourcefulness
- A proven ability to work with teams to build capacity in technical areas
- Successful experience working with people from different cultural background
- Some extracurricular interests to engage in with community members or independently (sports, outdoor activities, writing, drawing, etc.)
Please send the following to Helen Chalmers at email@example.com:
• Current CV/resume
• Letter of Interest detailing related skills and experience
• 3 professional references with name, title, email, phone contact, and relationship to the applicant